Splints - DON'T sell

In a message dated 10/12/2000 12:46:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< My 3 yr old mare that I was going to get started under saddle
 soon popped a splint on her RF leg.  This is the first horse I've
 ever had that popped a splint and I'm kind of concerned about my
 future endurance prospect - She did this just playing in the pasture.>>

Absolutely typical. Some of our youngsters have done that, too.

<< So first question -how long to these things take to heal?  Second
 question - Feelings on treating with DMSO/furason?   Third question
 Any stories of success/failure with horses that had splints as
 youngsters and were tried in endurance?>>

I just ignored the splints and they healed by themselves.  Sometimes the
horses aren't even lame, though a rest period is a good thing.  I didn't put
anythiing on them at all.  Once the splint is cold, you should be able to do
anything you want.  The only exception I ever had was with a mature horse who
popped a splint on a 100 mile ride with a rider from Germany.  I've been
careful to whom I loan any of our horses ever since.  This particular splint
was so massive that it impinged on the suspensory ligament underneath it and
the horse was good only for 1-day 50s thereafter.  On the
second day of a multi-day ride he would go off.  I finally sold him for a
pleasure horse.  But that splint was very large, much larger than any I have
ever seen, before or since. Generally, I don't consider splints a big
deal....unattractive, but not fatal.

Barbara