Re: RC: Re: Re: RE: worlds youngest rider

In a message dated 10/10/2000 9:34:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
penelope_75647@yahoo.com writes:

<< How else are we gonna
 protect some people from their own selves!!! >>

I'm sure my opinion will be disapproved by some, but my feeling is "Why must
the government, or AERC, or anyone else, be responsible for protecting people
from themselves?"  If people choose to do something the rest of us consider
dangerous, that's THEIR responsibility, not ours.  Shall we now prohibit
mountain climbing? Surfing? Bicycling?  Actually, from the people I've spoken
to, I've learned that some of the worst accidents happen in the most benign
situations.
I continue to have a good chuckle over an image that came to me one day:
That of the pioneers setting out for California or other points west, 150
years or more ago, with an expectation of being guaranteed safety all along
the way, and who would they sue if they met with danger?  Expand on that one,
and it becomes a joke.
It may not be the safest thing in the world to put a 3 year old on a horse
and take him through a 25 mile ride, but I personally think it's none of our
business, only theirs. And as Lif mentioned, other societies put their kids
on horses at a very early age as a matter of necessity, so what's the big
deal?  We're just too darned civilized and looking for guarantees of safety
everywhere.  Off my soapbox now........

Barbara