Hoof crack

Who out there has had a hoof crack that actually took their horse out of
training for a few months? Now that we know what is going on with Audrey's
mare, we are wondering who else has had this experience. We don't want to
make any mistakes here. She has traces of long-standing gravel in a vertical
line and when it was debrided, it actually LOOKED better than before. But it
is in the front left, inside of the hoof, extending from the middle of the
hoof to the hairline but not quite the C band. It could be worse - but the
vet/farrier has said we can hack her gently this week, and just not start
working her until the hoof grows to the point where the crack is an inch o so
below the hairline. We slapped he right back on the DynaHoof - make their
hooves grow like crazy. Anyone else have hoof crack anecdotes that would be
helpful??
San