Re: RC: RE: worlds youngest rider

In a message dated 10/10/2000 12:12:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Magnumsmom@AOL.com writes:

<< I also clearly remember my Mother saying to me at a very
 early age "How are we going to get you interested in
 something else?" ... as in being a doctor or a lawyer I
 suppose. >>

I was told that from the moment I first saw a horse . .  that was it . . I
was plagued with the horse crazy disease. No one in my family had any
interest in horses but me. Every year for my Birthday and Christmas I begged
my parents for a pony and got Breyers, Barbie horses or stuffed animals
instead. I was told they were much easier and less expensive to take care of.
My passion and persistence never subsided. Finally, when I was 12 my mother
told me "OK so you want a horse, well you need to learn to take care it
first." My dream finally came true. My parents could not afford to buy me a
horse or pay for lessons so my mother worked out a handsome deal with the
local Pony Club. The deal was that I clean ALL 38 stalls/paddocks on the
place in exchange for a lesson (at the end of the day when she thought for
sure I would be too exhausted to ride). My mother was absolutely sure this
would cure my horse crazy disease for good. To her utter suprise her attempt
to burn me out of horses only back fired and made me want to be around them
even more!
When I turned 14, (my parents gave in after realizing there was no hope of
curing this "horse" disease), they allowed me to buy my own horse under the
condition that I get a job to pay for everything including the horse. They
said that it was absolutely my responsibility and I had to ride my bike (9
miles round trip) to the stables twice a day to feed, clean, and take care of
the horse. They did not care if it was raining, or if the wind was blowing so
hard that I could walk faster than ride the bike. Never once would they help
me. I got a job at a donut shop working in the wee hours of the morning
before school and on weekends to support my horse. I did this (riding my bike
20+ miles a day, working long hours, going to school and running Cross
Country and Track) throughout High School and never once got the help from my
parents. There were so many times that I cried when I was just too exhausted
and ready to collapse, or the wind was horrendous, or it was too miserable
and raining to be riding my bike to the stables. My parents would just laugh
at me and tell me that the horse was my choice, but look on the bright side,
at least you are the fittest kid in town!
Many people would call this child abuse. I don't know. I learned to be as
tough as nails and really learn responsibility at a young age. I got my dream
by really working for it and not giving up no matter what. It has made me who
I am today and I never regret it.
What I do regret is not necessarily having "horsey" parents but rather having
"horsey" non supportive parents growing up. It was many rough battles . . .
they could not understand my passion for horses, and would do everything in
their power to discourage me from doing shows at the stable I boarded at, to
wanting to try a competitive trail ride. When I was put on restriction, their
form of punishment was that I feed my horse and immediately come home. I was
not to clean my horse's corral. If I did not come home within a certain time
limit I was on restriction longer. It was a bunch of BS for me and my horse
growing up.
God bless little Cliffy for his talents, and having such wonderful supportive
parents that are there for him every step of the way. To have loving
"supportive" parents to enrich one's life is every kid's dream. It will last
with them for the rest of their lives.
Robyn Levash
'" You only got one life to live so you might as well enjoy it."