Re: RC: Young, really young riders

In a message dated 10/10/00 8:17:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time, donp@dcr.net
writes:

<< Most CTR's
 have a 10 year old minimum age for juniors and I think that is a good idea
for
 AERC to take up.  Is anyone there listening?

 How about you folks who are running for the board, any thoughts? >>

I am on the board and everyone knows I have thoughts.  Why do you pick 10.
What makes a ten year old better.  I have started a whole lot of juniors in
endurance.  Every one of them started with 50's, not LD.  Larissa was 5 and
went on to be national champion when she was 11.  Heather Bergantz was 11 and
we all know what she is doing at age 23, such as winning BC at Tevis.  She
was also a national champion.  Julie Caprino was about 7 or 8 and went on to
be national champion.  She just left for Cal Poly and took her horse with
her.  Megan Chamberlin was 7, Breanna Chamberlin was about 10, Holly Bergantz
[Heather's sister] was 11 or so.  Anyway, my point is, why make another rule.
 It has worked fine for years.  Tevis has a rule that I think is 12 years.
This makes sense and I have no problem with it because Tevis has some
horribly remote areas where no help could reach anyone.  But that is their
choice.  Why are we even fixing something that is not broken.  Oh yeah, I
forgot another of my juniors who was at Tevis this year.  She was one of the
vets.  Melissa Ribley.  She rode by herself until they changed the rules and
she had to have a sponsor.  Then she sponsored me.....maryben