Re: RC: RE: worlds youngest rider

In a message dated 10/9/00 12:32:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ncox@bendnet.com writes:

<< I agree that it needs to be the child's idea.  When is is their idea, let
 them ride!!! >>

I'm having a hard time picturing a 3 year old having the wherewithall to
understand exactly what they're getting themselves into. After all, how many
of us ADULTS really understood what we were getting into when we started
riding endurance?  Granted he did an LD and not a 50, I still can't imagine a
3 year old out there with all those wacky horses!   Also, I'm wondering what
would happen if a 3 year old is riding a horse who is run into from behind
and literally shoved off the trail (which has happened to me), or riding a
horse who has to zig when you thought he was gonna zag (been there done
that).  They don't have the leg length  (or strength) to stay WITH a horse in
a serious situation.  Not to say that there can't be a child prodigy (like
that chess playing kid) who could just tear up the endurance trail at age 3,
but even so, wouldn't be my own personal choice for my kids.

Sylvia