Re: Re: beet pulp

Robyn,
Beet pulp is what is left over after they have extracted the sugar from
sugar BEETS not sugar cane. (Michigan grows a lot of it...ever see Pioneer
Sugar?)  There is no sugar in it unless you count the little bit of molasses
that is sometimes added to it.  Susan's advice is sound in this area...feed
the beet pulp without worrying.  I prefer the shredded to the pellets as the
pellets I have seen are pretty large and I don't always soak their feed.
Yes, I feed it dry and my horses are still alive!  And they look GREAT!  I
started feeding beet pulp a couple of years ago to supplement hay (it was
expensive that year...$3-5 a bale!) and at times, they probably did get half
beet pulp and half hay and they did just fine.  It is an EXCELLENT
nutritious feed for many reasons...have you read Susan's articles on her
website?  It should answer all your questions, maybe some you wouldn't have
thought of and even make you laugh (check out the squirrel story!).  And
Susan, yes, do the old wives' tale speech and I won't give you any quizzes!
:)  Here's the site, Robyn....
http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/index.shtml
Maggie