Re: sport saddle questions

TddWil writes:

> For someone that is used to riding in an all purpose english saddle, would
> need my stirrups set back on the endurance model sport saddle?

Shelly, first of all, there is a lot of variation in stirrup position in
english saddles........I see far too many with their feet forward of their
hips...........but I understand what you are asking.

I have ridden Sport saddles for 7 or so years......and find the standard
positions to be WAY too far forward.  I always felt my feet were too far
forward until I bought one used from Janeen Heath of Sport tack.  I believe
that model has the stirrups 2 inches back!  BUT, I could post or stand and
be perfectly balanced, with my feet right under me.  When an ornery horse
was just too squirrely to ride in the endurance model, I briefly switched to
a Training and Schooling Circle Y.  With the stirrups forward, my right knee
would begin to ache after an hour or so.  So I ordered another Training and
Schooling model with the stirrups in the exact same position as the
endurance model I got used. I sent the company a pattern from the endurance
model with the sitrrups 2" back, and actually, the stirrups on the new one
were even slightly farther back.

Even one inch back is not far enough or me.

 The horse is
> not gaited and I post.

I find with these saddles, you don't actively need to post up and down; you
can sort of "float" the saddle with your feet loose in the stirrups and
using thigh pressure.

 Also, has anyone ever heard of a sport saddle soring a
> horse? I am a featherweight.

Well, I hit lightweight this year......but personally, have never had a sore
back on my horses, either me or the kids riding.  I swear by skito pads,
that are shaped to the back.  A bad rider that bounces at the trot or canter
will sore the back, regardless of kind of saddle!

 I do understand that some people don't like the
> "wide" feeling of the seat.

It does take some getting used to, as your legs spread out more from the
hips.  But, if you are comfortable in the hips riding bareback, you should
have no problem  Of course, with your legs spread out farther, it is very
difficult to keep a standard leg position on the horse!  You will find your
legs tend to just spread out, heels away from the horse.  Since I never ride
with much leg on my horses anyway, this is not a problem for me!  I am so
long-legged anyway, that my feet are way down below the belly anyway.

Still......I have not found anything better. I really like the balanced
ride, the closeness to the horse, and that I can feel their back move. I
have been very happy with the saddles;they have held up well,and I have had
no problems with back soreness, or cinch sores,or any of that.

Karen Chaton has done thousands of miles on her horses with Sport saddles,
and gets A's on her horses backs.......I have too on the 50's I have done.

 Karen Sullivan  (5 sport saddles)