Ponying At Speed (Not Safe!)

Okay, first of all, forget the word safe, because this isn't safe. But I
will tell you how the local polo riders (well, their exercise riders,
mostly!) pony up to 4 horses at a time at a trot and canter, and
occasionally a full speed gallop. They do this on a track, not a neat fenced
track, but a wide mowed path around the hay fields, mostly flat with slow
turns and wide enough for 5 horses abreast. Also, they are ponying horses
that are already well broke, and accustomed to moving at speed in company.
The rider is on one horse (and mostly in a flat little english saddle!) with
two horses on either side of him. The outside horse on each side is wearing
a stiff rope halter with a long cotton lead attached. This lead is then run
through the rope halter of the inside horse on each side. The rider has two
leads to hold, one in each hand, as well as the reins. They yell at the
horses a lot. And the horses bump into each other a lot. But polo ponies are
used to bumping into each other and I think overall these guys are all
working enough that silliness is confined to a minimum. If something goes
wrong (count on it!) the rider drops the leads, and four horses are loose. I
deliver mail in a rural area and used to be treated to this spectacle on a
weekly basis, now I am on a more suburban route and am just realizing how
much I missed it! Now if all that seems too exciting, just down the road
from me is a fella that raises and races a few Standardbreds, and he legs up
his young horses from the back of his jeep. He has a metal grid (I imagine
it looks a lot like the gate they will have to break from) and a horizontal
pipe welded to the back of his jeep, and he ties a couple to the back and
tows them around the field, at a jog. Safer for the human, anyway.
Nancy Wombacher
wambo@fast.net