Why two close rides on the same weekend?

Dianna Chapek dmchapek@hotmail.com
How is it happening that two rides are held on the same weekend that would potentially draw the same competitors?  I had to choose between a ride that was about an hour closer to me, and one of my all time favorites, Lassen Challenge, this past weekend.  Without question I chose Lassen (this was my 11th).  What a great ride.  Unfortuately, this wonderful ride is being lost after 19 years.  Why?  I'm told partly because of lack of help putting the ride on (I've offered to work it next year if RM reconsiders), but mostly because it has become hard to get the ride scheduled every year.  The ride date ends up changing around other, newer, rides' schedules every year.  And this year, once a date was chosen another ride was sanctioned for the same date.  The logistics of putting on a ride are tough enough without having to compete with another ride on the same date.  Isn't there someway to prevent this problem?  I thought AERC had a rule the prevents rides held in close proximity from being held on the same date.  Seems to me it would be better for all RMs if their rides didn't have to compete with others.  Just my thoughts on the loss of a great ride.  Thanks Sandi Hess, for all the wonderful years and memories.
Dianna
  &
In loving memory, Farwraff