Re: RC: Pull w/o exam?/Rider Responsibility

In a message dated 10/1/00 6:31:51 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
mlaboure@flash.net writes:

<<
 I was competing on a Fox Trotter/Arab cross that had an unusual gait which I
had
 to explain to every vet at the vet checks.  However, I never had a vet pull
my
 horse and I don't think that vet should have pulled your horse without an
 examination.

    Anyone familiar with Dave Nicholson knows and understands that he has
seen just about every kind of horse competing in endurance, as a competitor,
a ride manager and a vet.
    I believe he is "there" for the horse.
    I believe vets have opinions and it is the nature of the sport that they
will share them with you...whether you agree or not, whether you want to hear
it or not.
    I believe (as many do) that the ultimate responsibility for the horse is
on the rider.  If the rider shows that they are unable (or unwilling) to
think clearly about the horse's well-being, be they clouded by fatigue,
competitive fervor, reaching for their particular goals with a hungry hand or
whatever, that GOOD vets step in, and do their job...SPEAK FOR THE HORSE and
say "Done, here boss."
     As for whether the horse needed or "earned" a final exam by the vet and
the apparent indignation of the rider at not receiving one...the rider wasn't
even concerned enough to "recognize" that the horse was "done" and had no
more to give.
     Granted, I was not there, did not witness any of this....but if Dr.
Nicholson said the horse was "done", that's good enough for me.
      And, I understand other DVM's (who were there) felt the same.
      So, what is really at issue here?
      Feelings?
      Whose.
       The horse's? (Probably not.)