Colic

B.J. Rice rnf1@mail.lig.bellsouth.net
Okay ridecampers, I have a problem that is driving me crazy.  Our 7 yr. old Arab gelding coliced Thanksgiving night.  Hauled him to U.T. Vet School first thing Friday morning, where they performed surgery on him.  It was a soft implaction that they worked out without having to open his intestines.
He came thru it fine.  Since he was in good condition he had two weeks stall rest, then turned out in small paddock for a couple of weeks and after that back into the regular pasture.  We had daily handwalking and longeing as per the vet.  Dec.30, he coliced again. Mild gas colic, a shot of banamine and he was fine.  He is eating the same feed,hay and beet pulp as always.  Shots and worming are up to date.  He's not being stressed or any major changes going on.  He's not a very nervous horse, laid back and calm.  The only thing different on the days that he coliced was that I didn't get to work him like I usually do.
On Jan.20, we put out a fresh round bale of grass hay,same as we have been feeding, no mold, kept in the dry and he coliced again.  Vet tubed and rectally palpated him and it resolved itself.  The vet can't seem to find a cause for all the episodes,"weather changes", "psychosomatic".  I'm afraid I'm going to lose my very best friend.  We've only been doing ld's for a couple of years, planning to move up to 50's, now I don't know what to do.  Has anyone had similar problems and what was the outcome?  Thanks in advance for your help. Ridecamp is a wonderful source of information and entertainment.  Hopefully we will work thru this and we'll see you on the trails.