Re: RC: flexion tests

At 10:53 PM 1/25/2000 -0500, Brickson wrote:
>I have been told that old horses will always fail flexion tests.  I've seen
>some tough 14-26yos fail it, good pleasure riding horses with no apparent
>problems.  Could this observation be proof for the rumor?  How much truth is
>there to it?  Bridget

	If I want, I can make virtually any horse respond positively to a flexion
test. IT is a quick and dirty check for limb problems. It is not terribly
accurate at identifying the exact site of a lameness. It is also not black
and white. What I might consider a perfectly "normal" response in a 16 year
old might worry me in a 3 year old.
	A slightly positive response in an aged horse that is equal in both hinds
wouldn't concern me as much as a horse that was perfectly fine in one leg,
and majorly gimpy in the other.

	And whoever said it isn't the vet's job to pass or fail a horse is right.
We are there to perform a thorough physical, and point out deviations from
the ideal. We may offer an informed opinion as to the likely consequences
of these deviations in light of the intended work, but that's about it.
	Face it. A horse can "pass" with flying colors, and mutilate itself on the
trailer ride home. It's all a calculated risk. What you're paying for is
more information to aid in the calculations.
				--CMNewell, DVM