Quote from Asil Arabians

Sorry if some of you didn't want to receive this, but just let me know
and I will not send to RC again.  My 3/4 mare canters in this kind of
stride, which is why I chose this quote today.  Not a very good dressage
type canter, too flat, but Oh, so comfy!

Karen

"Bargoud was a dark chestnut of medium size.  He had been owned and
ridden by a sheikh who probably only sold him in emergency.  He was said
to be extremely docile, but at the same time he was the fastest of all
the Prince's horses.  On his back the Prince had settled a freqently
discussed question: Who would be faster in a long-distance race, the
Arabian or the English horse?  The Pince had raced his Bargoud against an
English thoroughbred on the road from Bujukdere to Constantinople, about
two German miles on a mostly paved road.  When Bargoud and his rider
reached the walls of Stamboul, they were so far ahead that the English
horse was not even in sight.

Bargoud was a Saqlavi Djedroun.  When galloping he went at such a regular
and easy stride that, as the Prince would say, his rider was able to
sleep on his back.  Nevertheless he travelled very fast.  Furthermore he
was so absolutely calm and reliable that he was suitable for any lady to
ride."

Puckler-Muskau/Laube (1844)
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.