Re: RC: Re: Silver Drift, Searching for

Hi Renee and Tina
Yes, you were correct, Tina, *Silver Drift was born in 1951 (Raktha
*Serafina. Silver Drift was one of Howie Kales foundation sires after he
imported him from England---breathtaking beauty.
In 1962 the Kales went to Europe with Gene Lacroix and his father on a
buying trip. Dr. Kale purchased the beautiful mares *Dornaba++ and
*Eskadra++. They discovered *Silver Drift in England. As much as I like
Quarter horses, I too would not say there was any similarity. This
stallion has lots of Arabian Type and was sire of many national
halter/performance winners including Silver Sprite (Canadian Top 10
mare, dam of Satin Silver who was dam of Amber Satin (those were the
days when halter mares sold for over a million dollars) and
Silk-N-Silver who was dam of Amber Silk, US and Canadian Top 10 Mare
(sold for 1.7 million dollars!)); Centuria; Silver Century; and National
Champion Jewel Drift, (the only daughter of *Dornaba++), Canadian
National Champion Mare and US Top 10 mare, an Aristocrat of mares.
Tornado, a *Bask son, was purchased as the perfect outcross for *Silver
Drift's daughters and national winners were produced. *Silver Drift had
an incredible neck, beautifully sculptured and big dark eyes.
Later, Kale moved his operation to Scottsdale and built Karho where
booze flowed heavy at auctions and prices soared to 7 figures. I know
one man whose partner was drinking so heavy that he almost bought his
own horse, caught up in the bidding and not paying attention.
When I went to one of their last auctions, the booze was not flowing so
much anymore but they did have a full orchestra in tuxes and when they
brought Muscat on stage, I have to tell you I had tears in my eyes, as
did my husband. Anyway, that is a little on the background of the Kales,
their beautiful sire Silver Drift and his beautiful daughters.

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov