Dominant horses / round penning

KIMBERLY PRICE KMPRICE51@HOTMAIL.COM
From KMPRICE51@HOTMAIL.COM

As a big believer in the different 'flavors' of Natural Horsemanship (which I agree is a misnomer) I have just a few comments on the recent thread.

One is to open your mind to ideas and 'listen' to the whys when you go to clinics, see videos, get instructions.  How could you possibly be doing these things but still think some cowboy figure is just chasing a horse in circles?

Two is ask yourself this question:  when a true emergency comes up on the trail, something really, really scary and that horse wants to turn tail and run, do you really want him to be the alpha and not listen to you as you suggest a safer course of action?

All roundpenning does is gives you one of many 'tools' to teach the horse to take you _seriously_ while also teaching him that you can be trusted.  These are lessons remembered on the trail when you are on their backs putting in those wet blankets.  But in order to teach something you must yourself open your mind and be willing to learn....

Just my .02 cents for what it is worth.

Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab "its worth alot to me, I almost ended up as glue now I'm on the trail in a rope halter")
Sky Ranch, Fairfax, CA