Whips in eventing

Dear Susan,

>I was watching with great interest the 3=day event at the Olympics and
guess what??  Whips were carried and used quite often.  Now since this sport
is also under FEI, I wonder why they are allowed ......>

I must admit, I was a bit surprised when I joined this forum and learned
that whips weren't allowed for endurance (nor spurs, I take it?) as I am so
used to them being part and parcel of equestrian sport.

Your question could just as well be raised in respect of dressage,
showjumping or showing.

Perhaps the only answer I can give (and it's just a guess) is this : in all
other sports bar endurance, the competitor is under the eye of the judge at
all times, and over-use of the whip is punishable.  I don't think this is
the case in endurance, or am I wrong?

Anyway, it's a good question, and I'm sorry I can't give you the answer, but
I'd be grateful to hear any other thoughts on the subject.

Regards,
Tracey

(who feels underdressed without a whip, although it is seldom, if ever,
used)