RE:Spooking and other things you have asked me about.....

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

Tracey, I really agree with what you said (copied below).
I really think that most horses will respond with less
spookiness, if the rider spends ALOT of time, one on one
with the horse out riding, walking, grazing, seeing the world.
This takes ALOT ALOT of time.
The flight or fight response is different in different
horses, and different in people (we have it too).
Couple a flightly person with a flighty horse, and it'll
be a long haul. Temperment and disposition (and they're not the
same thing) play a big role, you build on what you
have to start with.

While round pens have their purpose, the world is not
a round pen.
The bonding process should build trust.

Barb

Tracey said:
I'm a big proponent of the old "take them out in hand and show them the
world" technique of bonding.  To me, this is a far more natural way to show
"herd leadership" than a round pen.  The horse goes where you lead because
he has learnt that it's fun - you find him nice places to graze, as a herd
leader would, you keep him safe from scary things, as a herd leader would,
you chase of predatory dogs, cows, ostriches, plastic dustbins, umbrellas,
etc, as a herd leader would.  A herd leader isn't just one who tells a horse
"do not be afraid, or else!" it is one who says "hey, don't worry, I'll look
after you!".