Bear River Ride, Petoskey, Michigan

Hi folks,
We had another great ride this year at the Bear River Ride in northern Michigan.  Gorgeous weather if a bit nippy in the mornings.  Sunshine galore and fall colors just starting made for some fantastic scenery as well.  This is also the trail used in August for the Wolverine Ride (which we didn't make this year.).  It's a challenging and FUN trail.  Not for the faint of heart or weak in the hindquarters, that's for sure.  Lots of sand, lots of hills and lots of sandy hills.  Great gradual grades...sure wish I had trails like that for conditioning!  :)  We did a 25 comp on Saturday and 25 Limited Distance on Sunday.  We were the first two in and the last two in Sunday...ok, we were the only two.  And we had a ball anyways!  :)  Max and Malik seemed to think we were whacko broads going out by ourselves on Sunday...in fact, they would trot slower and slower and finally start to walk and look at each other as if to SAY "What is the matter with these guys?".  I don't think they believed it was a "real" ride!  It didn't take long for the Sunday comp riders to catch up with us at that rate and then they decided maybe it WAS real and moved out at a good trot...I think Malik was disappointed because it's his most favorite thing to be able to PASS the competition, ya know!!  :)  They did well both days...we did lose some points on Sunday for hydration...we discussed it with the vet and we surmise that the cooler weather is slowing down the drinking.  Their bodies just don't figure they need MORE in cooler weather.  So, we will keep that in mind when we head to the Upper Peninsula to do FIFTY at Pine Marten Run in two weeks.  I can't wait... we probably should have done 50 this weekend but I would rather err on the side of caution.  This is a tough trail and Malik is young.  I have to say again how much I love the opportunity to ride with my daughter like this... I know she can't wait to NOT be a junior anymore and wants to ride on her own but how I wish we would see some TEAM competition.  She and I with Max and Malik ARE a great team!!  Valerie and Danielle might be on to something, eh?  What is the anagram?   Together Everyone Achieves More.  I believe it, too.
Anyway, Malik was a hit with everyone again... he does have a lot of personality for a horse, not just because he's a stallion either.  He was dreaming as he slept the other night and nickering to mares out loud... I have never seen a horse do that and it was the funniest thing I have ever seen!  He finally has the ridecamp thing down (knock on wood!) and doesn't get too excited about much...hardly ever talks to other horses, doesn't pace anymore, relaxes the whole time.  All stuff that can't be taught at home but just comes with experience.  Some people had to ask us who was the stallion, Max or Malik because behavior wise, they couldn't tell!!  :) I want to thank Shannon Wood and Jayna Steffel who took over this ride a couple of years ago so it didn't become extinct and are doing a great job...they work hard.  This year they had a conflict with a motorbike race going on the same day and time...the club worked closely with the girls and the DNR to resolve the issues and make sure BOTH events were able to go on as planned.  What a step forward for horse people and motorcycle people to be able to work together like that...the motorcycle club could have just said TOUGH LUCK, no dice, we got the date and you're screwed, but they didn't.  We only encountered one motorbike on the trail, it was that well planned so their traffic would miss our traffic!!  So chalk one up for improved relations with motorbikes and horses!! :) Awards were great again this year...Malik did win BC (for what's it's worth and was 3rd HW in the 25 comp on Saturday, too) and Gene Dake's KTP Simply the Best, who also won BC on the 50 Saturday both got a great first aid kit with all kinds of goodies.  Our friend, Sara Matthews (and Ruby) who has worked her butt off all year riding comp and never able to beat Jeanie Miller (and Maggie), FINALLY did by one point and where was she?  She had to go home and asked us to pick up her awards for her...Nelson did a nice imitation and Sara never looked better!!  :)  Boy, was she surprised when we delivered her loot...she got a first aid kit as well for being high point rider that day!  Anyway, in spite of a few snafus (what ride doesn't have some?), it's a well run, fun ride with lots of great people and at every ride we seem to make more and more friends.  That's what it's all about for us!!  OH, again this year, they did photos for completion awards except the dad's camera malfunctioned...we got lucky and OURS turned out so I'm including the photos for those who would like a peek at Max and Malik.  THANKS SHANNON AND JAYNA!  Oh, and Jim Yell, too who so graciously allows us a beautiful camping area on his property...definitely a ride to attend should you decide to travel to Michigan!!!
Maggie Mieske and
the awesome Mashallah Almalik