saddle fit HELP

OK, I've been thru this before with another horse so I didn't think I was a
total idiot when it came to saddle fit, but...   I got a wintec all purpose
with the changeable gullet, and ALL the gullet plates. The horse appeared to
be narrower than my other one that took a medium, so I went narrower. White
hairs and the saddle kept sliding forward. So we went wider. No luck. So then
I bent a piece of wire over his back and made a cardboard template to test
the saddle with. it fit with the widest gullet plate. So I used it on a 30
mile CTR (last 10 on foot, lame) and he had no dry spots or pressure lumps,
and I checked him repeatedly that day and the next day. So after a few weeks
off we did 20 mi yesterday. He had dry spots and a lump on either side of the
withers. He lost hair on the white spot on the left side of his withers.
OUCH. The saddle sits a bit low in front but has adequate wither clearance. I
pulled it back away from his shoulders. I'm using a wool felt pad. The girth
is not over tight. He is an egyptian bred arab, pretty average conformation,
he is not rump high. I am about ready to buy a bareback pad and throw a bunch
of saddles in my front yard and have a bonfire!

                                                       Shelly