need info on horse population survey

Hi All,
    I've heard several recent references to horse population surveys done in Sonoma and Marin counties in northern California.  A local horse group here in Monterey county is interested in doing one.  Could anyone give me info about who to contact to get info about the survey?
    More and more of us are seeing the need to prove that horses are an important economic force as more and more of our "horse"  land is gobbled up!
    Thanks!
Laney