Bloody Shoulder Blue Update

I'm way overdue to follow up on Blue's injury.  He's doing fine now.  We

completed the PSI 50 last Saturday at the back of the pack and in great

shape.  This is how we got there.

Last July I wrote about how Blue had sustained a nasty kick to his shoulder.

Three weeks later  we were still trying to get the injury to calm down.  He
had developed quite a bit of scarring in the area with some proud flesh.  It

was still infected and draining even on some pretty good (read expensive)

antibiotics.  My most excellent vet decided to try and x-ray the boney

process ridge that runs along the shoulder blade.  The kick had actually
knocked 3 small chips off that ridge which my most excellent vet had taken
the time to find and remove 3 days after the injury. He were worried he
hadn't gotten them all and the option would be to take Blue up to UC Davis
for surgery.  But before we went that far, he thought he could get a shot
of the shoulder blade ridge which is exactly what he did.  The x-rays showed
there were no more chips and we were encouraged.

Instead, my vet did another clean up of the area.  He removed quite a bit

of the scar tissue.  This injury was about 3 inches around and puffed out

an inch and a half from the rest of the shoulder.  It was big and ugly.  I

was trying not to be too concerned about what this all would look like when

it was healed up... as long as my horse was sound and I got him back!

We thought maybe we had a handle on most of the infection so he stitched
it down quite a bit, sent us home and said watch it.  If it gets infected
again,

we'll take the stitches out.  I knew what he was thinking.

The wound was still ugly and draining, but it was no longer infected.  We

left the stitches in for 2 weeks.  That's how long it took for this wound to

completely close over.  It was still big and ugly and I was amazed at how
much it still poked out of his shoulder since I saw how much necrotic tissue
my vet had removed.  But I was happy when he said "Time to start riding this
horse!".  The movement would help the area return to normal.  We also
looked at that scar and came to the same concensus... "Well, these things
usually get better with time."  Yeah.

So the next day I went out for a ride and Blue was feeling so good, he

dumped me!  Hurray!

I was working a lot and he was badly in need of shoes so I didn't really

do much with him that week.  He got new shoes and I saddled him up the
next Saturday, taking a good look at the scar to see if there was any
reduction in size and...

IT WAS GONE!

Gone.  Completely gone except for the little line you'd expect and the
shaved square.  In a week.

I should tell you why.  You see, last May I'd started him on an herbal

supplement ... legal by FEI standards as from my understanding our
WEC team horses were also on it... by Auburn Laboratories called
"APF" or "Advanced Protection Formula".   The idea ( I believe) is
that these herbs help the body at the cellular level so they can heal
and repair themselves and be healthy.  Healthy cells.

To read more you can find information at:

http://www.auburnlabs.com

For more information you can email info@auburnlabs.com

In a healthy horse training for endurance, APF helps the body repair itself

from the normal wear and tear of training.  That's how the body gets

stronger.  The workout stresses the muscle and bone tissues and then
during the next couple days the body rebuilds itself stronger.  APF helps
make sure that happens quickly and completely.

Blue came right through the PSI 50 and looked like he could have done

another 50  the next day.  Jane Cloud and Laura Fend put on a great ride...
Thank You!  And thanks to all the vets and volunteers who made it all
possible.  If we see you at a ride, I'll be happy to show you a normal looking
shoulder where we were expecting fairly ugly puffy scar tissue for a while.
I'd also be happy to answer any questions you might have about APF and how
I use it.

Kathy Myers

AERC West Region #14992

with Mr Maajistic