what to do with a runaway?

Hi guys:
New topic:

A recently lost horse has given me a reason to ask this question.  FYI this horse has been lost 6 days and counting.

If you are endurance riding in a remote area and an accident occurs where the rider becomes separated  from his/her horse, what is the best way to catch the horse?  (assuming the rider is fine - obviously the rider would receive first priority if there were injuries)

On the one hand, if someone chases the horse on horseback, the horse might right further and further, especially if the horse is really spooked.

On the other hand, if the rider tries to follow on foot, a very fit horse can be many, many miles away before the rider can catch up.

Personally, I would have ridden after the horse, several hundred feet behind until the horse finally quit running.  I always have a halter on under the bridle (a la Back Country Horsemen) which would have been helpful to tie either horse, especially since the runaway had a broken bridle.

What would you do????

I look forward to hearing your input.  Hindsight is supposed to be 20/20, but it certainly isn't in this situation.

Regards,

Sarah & Saffy (75 miles)
Abbotsford, BC