Re: RC: RC; Chiropractors

> >While I'll extoll the virtures of human chiropractors...
> >(I use 'em and love 'em)
> >
> >In Equines:
> >someone tell me just how anyone is going truly manipulate
> >a horses spine (back). And  you all know how deep in the
> >neck the equine cervical vertebrae are!

Since I work for a Chiropractor, and am a certified massage therapist, I'll
jump in. The cervical vertebrae may be low in the neck, but just look at how
thin the neck is. My chiro (who works on both humans and horses, as do I)
uses
almost the same technique he does w/ people. Move the neck to the side till
the horse gives his head and neck, then isolate the movement down to the
vertebrae you want and give it a quick move! You can isolate C1-C5 pretty
easily, while C6&7 are too close to the scapula to isolate.
As for the back adjustments, my chiro stands on 2 milkcrates and thrusts
down
on the back, exactly as you do for a human. Now, people lie down on a table
and don't move around, while the horses may resist or move away. That's when
finesse and experience come into play and you move the horse's body around
until he just gives in and relaxes that body part that has to be adjusted.
Oh, and my Chiro doesn't use anything but his hands when he adjusts.

> >What I've seen pass a chiroprcatic equine adjusments around here
> >looks like what I'd call deep muscle massage.

Mmmm, maybe what you're seeing is the palpation part? Cause I sure know when
my chiro adjusts my horses! Then again, they're many ways to accomplish the
same thing. Also, there is a guy who claims he can train the lay-person to
adjust their own horse, dog, cat in 1 day. Mmmm, I wonder how many people
take that course and then put out their shingle? I took a 2 yr course on
massage therapy, so when I see someone who took a weekend course and they
think they know it all, it kinda gets me upset.

> >The equine "adjustments" are NOT the twisting/turning
> >(relax, relax.. crunch) the human variety are.

Sure they are. For the neck at least, and for a small part so isn't the
back. The hard part is the wither area and I seem to remember that the neck
and pelvis are the easiest to move and adjust. Think about it, you can move
the neck pretty much any direction and the pelvis you can rock side to side
and forward to back.

> >Barb

Marlana Pitas
South Attleboro, MA