Re: RC: Lake Oroville

At 11:15 PM 09/12/2000 -0700, Leah Peasley wrote:
>Lake Oroville is going to be our first ride, so I'm interested in this
>topic as well.  I *did* find one spectacular page at:
>http://members.nbci.com/ridephotos/1999/1999.html
>(click on Lake Oroville links near the top .. photos as well as ride
>story)

Did you guys notice that NBC has taken over xoom?  So  you guys will have
to let me know if the page works.  Maybe it'll work better than before.  It
can be temperamental---so if it won't load, just keep trying.  I often have
to try several times (it's very annoying, but it's free)

>The owner of that page is a ridecamper, so I suspect she'll point it out
>too.  Anycase, has anyone heard recent news about the trail for this
>year?  I'm trying to plan my vet checks (to crew or not to crew).

I previously posted the completion rates. That should tell you
something.  If not, go to www.aerc.org and look up the ride and see why
there were so many non-finishers.  Probably my biggest concern was the
vetting.  Then trail markings.  Make sure your horse is well prepared and
ride accordingly.  Last year was the first year for this ride, so you have
to expect some unexpected things to happen.  A few riders thought that the
trail might be a tad long.  :^)  I would not recommend this ride to a
newcomer.  I do think that its good to do a difficult ride for a first 50,
but IMO -- stick with established rides and RM.

The ride was all out of camp.  So you might want to have a crew, or at
least pack a crew bag.  Send a blanket, in case it's cool.  I think the vet
check was in the trees so pretty shaded.  You have several pavement
crossings (roads, bridges, dams, etc.).