Martingales - gimmick?

At 08:28 AM 9/12/00 -0700, Bette Lamore wrote:
>Sheila Varian rides all her horses with a running martingale during
>training and many times afterwards. I would hardly call her a gimmick
>user-- she is an incredible horsewoman

That last phrase is the key, tho.  Sheila has incredible hands!  However,
the times I've seen her or photos of her riding trail, I have not seen her
using martingales.  I'm not sure she uses them on trail horses.  Lif

             Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
           Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                 Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html