Re: RC: strange telephone call

In a message dated 09/11/2000 7:24:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time, joym@visi.net
writes:

<< I had the most strange telephone call tonight. A man called and introduced
himself.   He asked if I owned Orion.  I said yes and he asked if I wanted to
sell him,that he was looking for good endurance horses.  I told him no that I
was not interested and he said "Really?, at any price?"  I said not at any
price. And he again questioned my answer. He said why? and I told him that he
just wasn't for sale.  He asked how old he was and I told him 18 and he
chuckled and said that he WAS a bit old to sell.  That wasn't the point but
to him it said it all.
   He called from the 302 area code and I think that is New York or New
Jersey, but I was amazed with the call.  I have never had a stranger call my
home and ask something like that.  Then he asked me if I knew any one that
wanted to sell their endurance horses, or if I had any others I'd sell. I
said no to both.
 Anyway consider this a heads up, I have no idea how he got my number but
assume he was calling people that are currently in the Endurance News
regional standings.>>

We had a call a few years ago, soon after my husband's horse had won the
national HVYWT Pioneer Award (won and BCed all five days of one event).  The
man had a strong accent I couldn't place.  I later found out the the UAE was
sending out scouts to locate and buy the recognized US horses.  My husband's
horse had been listed in the yearbook.  The first time the man called, I was
hesitant, because I didn't know what was going on, but the second time he
called I was prepared, and I told him that the horse was a family member and
my husband didn't want to sell him at all.  End of story.  We still have the
horse.  Perhaps the person who called you was an agent, also.

Barbara