Re: Choke/colic -- second opinion?

  I have 7 horses now and that number has varied from 3 to 9 in the past
22 years.  Of my own horses, I've only had one colic more than once, and
both were mild gas colics.  Other than that, I've caught colics in my
horses about 5 - 6 times in 22 years.  I think that's pretty good odds
there.  Within the past 3 years I've had boarders and in the past year,
I've been helping keep an eye on my friend's new public boarding stable
(44+ horses) as she works out of state and isn't around much.  So, in the
past 3 years, I've had to call vets out for a total of 9 colics!  Only
two at my place and the rest at the stable.  I've hauled them up to A&M
if the vet wants and the owner doesn't have transportation.  It kinda
boggles the mind how often the vet gets called to the stable.  The only
common thread between most of these horses is the stable.  There's
usually no change in routine or feed.  It's odd.  Anyway, I love the
experience -- especially since we haven't lost a horse yet.  I'm learning
a lot about colic symptoms and when to tell the vet to RUSH and when to
just alert her to a potential problem.
    BTW, General is still his normal perky self, but he really had a cow
during his shots tonight.  I gues we're going to have to move to the neck
in the morning. :o(

Rae
Tall C Arabians -- TX