From: tallcarabs@juno.com [mailto:tallcarabs@juno.com]
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 11:25 AM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Choke/colic -- second opinion?

Hi, I have a colt that choked, possibly brought on by a mild colic
yesterday while I was away on vacation.  The vet was called and I'm a
little overwhelmed with all the meds she has prescribed for him for the
next week.  Now, this vet, I have always thought she goes a bit overboard
when it comes to colic.  She's very quick to ship a horse up to Texas
A&M.  Many times a situation that my old vet would have said -- give some
Banamine and keep a close eye on him and call me back in 30 minutes (99%
of the time, the horse would be fine by then.  I've been lucky to catch
colics very early)   -- this vet would be there immediately and be tubing
the horse as soon as she arrived.  Not that I'm complaining, much.  I
know how serious colic can be and maybe it is better to be safe than
sorry, but sometimes I feel she's doing way more than it necessary.  OK,
that's the background on the vet and my views.  Here's the findings on my
colt:
  Exam:  T=102, P=50, R=20.  MM pink,  CRT ~ 3 sec.
	Feed matierial coming from both nostrils & mouth
	Choke was relieved -- passed NG tube.  Airway oscolted with crackles
(sp??) - probable aspiration of feed material.  May develop aspiration
pneumonia.

   Rx:	1. No turn out for 3-5 days
	2. No hay or grain first day
	3. Day 2 - 10 -- no hay.  Feed small amts of soaked, very wet
pellets
3-4 x a day.  add salt and electrolytes
	4. Give 20 cc albuterol syrup by mouth am/pm for 5 - 7 days
	5. Give 22 cc Penicillin IM for 7 - 10 days
	6. Give 20 cc Gentocin IM or IV 1x /day for 5 - 7 days
	7. Monitor temp 1x/day,  if >102, call
	8. Monitor for depression, off feed, productive cough
	9. Give 8 cc Banamine 1x/day for 2 days, IM
	10. After 7-10 days, can feed wet hay.

Does this seem like an awful lot of meds for a yearling?  Is she
overdoing it?  Is this right on target?   General is also skinny right
now and I think 10 days on less than half his normal ration will make him
extrememly thin.  Would it hurt to add a handfull or two of beet pulp to
his soaked pellets?  #8 is not a problem.  General is very active this
morning and extremely ticked off that he didn't get enough to eat and
that he had to stay in the barn.

Any help would be much appreciated. :o)

Rae
Tall C Arabians - TX