Re: thumps

> Karen Schrader rcuervo@amaonline.com
>
> Having witnessed a horse "on the verge of thumping" at a recent ride, I am
curious as to what brings on this condition.  I understand that it is an
electrolyte problem, but is it a complete depletion of electrolytes? or are
they just out of balance?  Thanks!

The short answer is electrolyte imbalance/depletion from prolonged sweat
losses---calcium, potassium and magnesium primarily.  There's an article
coming up in EN about some of the hormonal factors contributing to it.

susan g