RE: Pulling up hills?

Jim, you have to 'splain this one to me, too.  Shoulders free on
the vertical plane?  I understand the use of lateral work to free
the shoulder.  But it is my pet peeve to have to stop on a steep
downhill because:  1) The front is lower than the hinds, therefore
the front feet have increased pressure on them.  2) Gravity will be
tending to shift the riders position downhill, too, therefore
increasing the pressure on the front legs.  I'm trying to picture
what the "training" is?  Most of the time when I am stopped on
a steep downhill, my horse kinda parks out in front and
hollows his back to keep his balance, no matter how far back
I try to maintain my center of gravity, or how much I half-halt.
I think this is more detrimental to the whole topline than benificial.
What am I missing in this equation?

Believe me, I've been on quite a few rides with my
riding partners telling me to stop on downhills because their
horses haven't learned to balance downhill yet. I would halt, but
then turn around to wait for them so we wouldn't be in such
an awkward position.  Yes, it's been a pet peeve with me!

I was given advice at an endurance ride last year that the
best way to build up a horses top line was to back them up hills.
Seems to work because they have to reach beneath with their
hindquarters and really use those muscles to back uphill. Been
also using this for "mental" training this week after a few
"drama king" episodes, ya know, THAT BOOGEYMAN IN THE BUSHES
IS GOING TO EAT ME ones.

K.