Re: RC: GERA Classic Revisited: Part 5

In a message dated 9/10/00 5:30:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Howard4567@aol.com writes:

<<  I find that I should have listened to the experts and put pads on
 this guy.  You can do a 25 without them, providing your horse has good
 hooves, but not a 50 >>

Not so Howard!  you do have to condition for rocks though just as you would
for deep sand or mountains. I think it takes at least a couple of years of
training on rock to toughen those feet up.   If you don't have them at home
it is going to be tougher for your horse.  Harca has finished the Tevis 6
times without pads, but we have LOTS of hard, rocky ground at home to
condition those hooves (and plenty of hills :).  I'm enjoying your story --
stick to the ride stuff and how fun it is and we're all with ya ;)

Sylvia