Re: pulling up hills

Correct riding for as close to 100% of the time that you are able is the
real ticket!  Use that seat and those legs to bring his back legs up under
himself, sit balanced and light with your weight in your heels and thighs,
do hills of all shapes, sizes, and inclines at different gaits and speeds
riding as well as you can, and be patient.  The muscles will take time to
develop, but they will come from the *back* and topline exercises that ask
him to bring his back legs up under his belly.  Don't use any gimmicks when
you're riding or lunging since most will encourage him to lean on his lower
neck muscles and go on the forehand.

Sue

>  Here's my 2 cents.
>  First, I like to teach a horse how to travel long and low on the flat,
>emphasizing keeping enough energy coming from behind to prevent getting
>heavy on the forehand, then once that becomes easy for him (allowing days to
>weeks for this, depending how it goes) I'll ask him to practice long and low
>on easy to moderate inclines, at a pace he can easily maintain.
>  Eventually most horses will come to realize that in the long run it's
>easier to push uphill than pull uphill.  I suggest you: 1) teach him how to
>position his body long and low - not all the time, but as an exercise,
>though if you let him get above the bit that of course is counterproductive
>to your training of his musculature as well as his mind  2) Condition him
>appropriately to make it easier for him to accomplish pushing himself uphill
>- that is, be consistent with long and low work, which encourages the horse
>to utilize his abdominal and hindquarter muscles and to round his back,
>stretching the topline  3) Make your increased increments of demand small
>enough to be within his capability, but of a magnitude that asks him to
>think about what he's doing.
>   I hope this helps.
>
>- Olivia

sbrown@wamedes.com