Progress!

I know this is pretty trivial stuff, but I just had to share my enthusiasm
for today's ride.  I am training a 6 year old we bred and raised for his
first 50s.  He's already done two LD rides and has done these slowly and
nicely.  This is a gelding I'm going to love competing on!  He's strong and
muscular, has a sweet disposition, even though he's a bit of a kid yet.  He's
not over-reactive, doesn't freak out about things.  He has great conformation
and nice round feet, and is pretty to boot.  His back is short and strong, so
short that he forges a bit, but that's about his only flaw so far.  Anyway,
today I took him out for a 5+ mile workout, and any of you who know where we
live know that any 5 miles from my house is going to be a real workout!
There is no such thing as easy country around here.  He earned a 2 apple
gratuity for his performance today.  His technique on opening and closing
gates improved about 25% from his previous ride, and his technique and speed
on downhills through the rocks was 100% better.  We jogged down the hills and
he just tucked his hindquarters under himself and balanced beautifully.  A
year ago, even 6 months ago, I wouldn't have dared trot downhill for fear he
would fall flat on his face and pitch me over his head.
Some time ago, it occurred to me that horse training is all about knowing
what a horse feels like when he is doing exactly what it is you are asking of
him.  I don't start horses, but I like to take a gentle broke youngster and
do the trail training.
This fellow is comfortable, has a strong steady trot, nice canter, fast
walk....very good in all gears.  I named him after a ship my husband sailed
on when he was a teenager in the Merchant Marine, and that one was named
after a famous clipper ship of the 1800s that set a record for sailing from
New York to San Francisco, around Cape Horn, in 27 days.
His name is Flying Cloud, and you'll see us here in the west region, doing
his first 50 sometime this fall or winter.

Barbara