Re: RC: Is it safe to go to the show?

In a message dated 9/7/00 7:03:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tracey@tbt.co.za
writes:

<< I had entered both of them for a two-phase show on 17 Sep.  Two novice
dressage tests and a short, training, XC course (16 fences, max height 80cm,
total length of course approx 1 km).  Will Piglet be over the virus
sufficiently by then to go to the show?  He has not done XC before, and is
not as fit as Toc.  Should I take Toc, bearing in mind he has shown no sign
of getting the virus?  I have upped his concentrates from 1.5 kg per day to
2.5 kg per day, but haven't ridden him since Sunday (studying, remember!) and
won't ride till Friday / Saturday, depending on work.  If he is still flat,
should I pull out of the show?

 My heart says to pull out, my head says I'm being paranoid.  My vet says I'm
being paranoid. >>

Vets always say that. Ignore him. Pull out. While the symptoms of a viral
infection can disappear quickly, especially with aggressive treatment, the
lesions are still there and need time to properly heal. If you don't give
that extra time, then you're liable to get caught up in a chronic condition
that will limit the capabilities of your horse for a very long time.

ti