Re: RC: Re: Conditioning for 100 milers

ralston@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU writes:

<< So you should do more than 100 miles in one day in training? I really
 don't think that is what you mean, but that's the way it reads to me,
 which is why I threw out my query (yes, semantics again-this quorum reaslly
 does
 make you pay attention to your use of english!). I absolutely agree that you
 want your horse fit enough to do more than you are asking in competition,
 since
 that is the definition of completion "fit to continue"! But that does not
 necessarily mean
 that you do the distance repeatedly before the actual competition.
 I think the resultant discussion clarified things nicely.

 Sarah and Fling (getting a bit fat and out of shape-time to start training
 again for those rides in late october and november) >>

However, never say never. There is the Law of Specificity to contend with.
And there is the human conditioning model to learn from. The fact that many
are crippling horses with 30 mile conditioning rides doesn't mean that 100
miles is impossible. Just means that such exercises require far more,
intelligent,  preparaton.

If I could speak the language, and culd get the truth, I'd be asking those
French trainers precisely what they are doing. Anybody know? And why not?

ti