Feeding A Young Horse

Hello Ridecampers,
My mother just bought a 3 year old standerbreed arab mix.
He has a bunch of balding spots all over his body. We think
it is caused from  poor grooming and poor feeding habits from his previous
owners. We have given him bathes and treated his balding spots
with an anit-fungle cream.
He needs to have more weight to be put on him we were thinking about putting
him on supplements sence he is still growing.
Now I don't really know that much about young horses diets. I bought my
horse when he was 7 now  he is 14.
Is there anyone out there who knows a thing or to about this sort of thing?
Any info would greatly be appricated.
Thanks
Colleen K. (My mother is driving me crazy over skinny young horses!)Polaris
(Leave me alone I am a middle aged horse!!!)
OZ ( I am ichy!!)
Robin (Weight problems, bladding UG make it stop!!!)