Re: RC: RE: AERC & International & FEI

steph@endurance.net writes:

<< In my experience there is almost NO difference in riding under FEI rules
 and AERC rules. >>

Which illustrates a point that no one has really brought out here.  Over the
past several years, AERC has had a GREAT deal of influence in helping to
educate those in FEI who write the rules for endurance as to what is
necessary to endurance.  People on SEVERAL continents that are involved in
this sport are concerned about the same things that we are in AERC--first and
foremost safety and care of the horses, followed by such things as a level
playing field.  Much of the "structure" of FEI that is confusing to us here
in the USA has to do with making things fair for multilingual competitors--a
problem we really don't have to face in this country.  (Canada deals with it
a bit.)  Such things as asking permission to converse with the vet, etc., are
not to be restrictive, but to keep a rider without command of either French
or English (the two "official" FEI languages) from being at a disadvantage to
a rider who is fluent in one or both.  By having a structure in which there
is a chef d'equipe and a team vet, one or both of these is, in effect, the
interpreter between the vet and the rider.  With such a system, a country
that does not use English or French as its native language can concentrate on
sending its best RIDERS to the event, rather than having to focus on their
linguistic skills--the team vet and/or chef d'equipe is the rider's advocate
to the vet, and the vet can communicate back to the rider in that way.

The very fact that FEI works on a WORLD level simply throws some logistic
kinks into the sport that we don't have to surmount in our regular in-country
rides.  There is no great agenda at the FEI level that is contrary to what we
are doing in AERC.  The two can AND SHOULD co-exist peacefully, each learning
from the other--as indeed, FEI learns and takes input from each and every
national federation.

I'd also add that AERC is not the only well-established national or
continental endurance group in the world.  Australia has had endurance
established for a LONG time and is WELL established.  Likewise New Zealand.
ELDRIC is not exactly wet behind the ears, either.  FEI has to assure as
level a playing field as possible, dealing with minor differences among ALL
these groups.  And not a one of these is out trying to do anything different
in concept than we are--they are trying to compete over distance and keep
horses healthy while doing so.  Each has some different wrinkles that may
seem odd or novel to us in the USA--but we can AND SHOULD all learn from each
other.  World participation has done a great deal to add to the body
knowledge in this country as well--not just by the "level" of competition
(Lord knows we've had some of the best right here) but from the opportunity
to rub elbows with more people who have approached the same problems from
different angles.  Rather than either burying our heads in the sands or
building a wall around ourselves or declaring that we are the "only"
knowledgeable endurance riders in the world, we should be willing both to
share our knowledge and resources and to learn from others willing to share
theirs.  We need to continue to stand shoulder to shoulder with those from
other countries, striving to continually make our sport better--not only at
the FEI level but at home as well.

Heidi