RE: AERC & International & FEI

A few comments on the FEI/world competition stuff:

In a message dated 09/04/2000 12:07:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Teddy@runningbear.com writes:

<< AND, Europe had an advantage...when they got serious about endurance,
 they made all of their rides essentially FEI rides.  So now most of
 their riders all know the ropes.  FEI is now planning to enforce rules
 that already exist instead of waiving them.  This means that if we want
 to stay competitive, we must learn to rides under THEIR rules (which do
 NOT vary greatly from ours) and give our riders FEI experience they so
 sorely need. >>

In my experience there is almost NO difference in riding under FEI rules
and AERC rules. The differences have little to do with the actual
ride. I've now ridden at the WEC level, the Pan American level and at a
local FEI ride. Stricter rules on your 'outfit' (e.g. heels or stirrups with
baskets), stricter rules on housing/stabling horses, some rules about
where and when crews can assist riders (though this may be an OC -
Organizing Committee - thing, not FEI), a few other things that really
have no bearing on how you actually ride the event. At the WEC my
crew (John) trotted Khruschev out, a USET vet or chef accompanied
him through the gates. At the PAC I trotted him out myself, and felt
comfortable talking to the vets if necessary. At the local FEI ride I
had to knock on doors to even find a vet at 88 miles. When it comes
to the actual competition - how to ride the course - there is effectively
no difference. Nothing to learn that you can't pick up at the 'ride
meeting' and deal with w/o changing your mode of competition.
I think Europe's biggest advantage was the 'home court' advantage.
They, especially the French, knew the course very well, and didn't
have to ship horses. This is a very big deal. It wasn't the only issue -
other
countries (e.g Australia) had a great day - but certainly an advantage.

>>For all the Hi-Tech in the USA, we are negligent is making use of much
of it.  Leonard Liesens did and he reaped the rewards.  He studied,
trained and then rode a smart ride.  Which is NOT what the USA did. Most
of our International riders are good riders and good people...NOT
ignorant, but uninformed and poorly coached.  We also have some very
good horses that could be even better with some studied maintenance and
modern technology applied. >>

Where is this comment coming from ?? Leo has a great horse and did a
great ride - yes he knows what he's doing. But - do you really think that
the USA riders do not know what they're doing? They don't study, train
or ride smart? Did you ever ask any of them what their training regimen
was? You can't always judge the quality of preparation by the outcome.
Both of Kanavy's horses were pulled - and I doubt if they could be
accused of being uninformed and poorly coached - not studying, not
training, not riding a smart ride.

I have mixed feelings about endurance at this level. There were changes
made in the rules, days before the event - whips were allowed and could be
used, electronic communication between riders and crews was permitted.
The Arab countries certainly have increased their power, influence and
prevalence in the sport. It is now much more visible and well funded.
The 'feeling' of the sport is different - more about pomp and ceremony
and glorifying the riders and nations. But this is primarily on the surface.

Once the ride starts it is STILL a test of endurance between horse and
rider. It is still a heck of a long ways and there is little room for error
of judgement by the time the 100 mile course is over. It is still about
training and pacing - and a big dose of timing and luck. The UAE has
the best horses and trainers available. Only two of their riders finished.
The French had a great day - first, second, third and BC - but remember
that in 1998 in Dubai France didn't even finish any of their riders.
Australia
took team Gold - last year it was New Zealand.  Last WEC only one USA
rider was pulled, this year only two completed.

All of this pomp and glory and emphasis on winning is just typical human
nature - and the sports team mentality (riots in LA after a football
game??).
But really and truly - the race, the real challenge is no different. During
the day I rode and talked with folks from Brazil, Holland, Belgium -
their challenge, like mine, was the course and how to do the best job
with your horse on that particular day. The only actual difference in
that respect was that there was a minimum time to complete - so you
did have to maintain a 6.6 mph overall pace. I think the very biggest
difference in riding at that level and riding at home is mental. There
is a lot of hype, a lot of pressure - and how you deal with it makes
a huge difference. Many riders got caught up in the speed and frenzy
in the beginning, especially those with little or no experience on 100
mile courses. (yes, there were inexperienced horses and riders at this
event!).

So, I guess what I'm getting at is the sport really isn't that different
at the International level - it just appears that way because of all
the hype and ceremony. I've had several requests for 'To Finish Is
To Win' stickers from foreign riders - they think it's wonderful.
Sure it's a race, sure there is only one actual winner - but we like to feel
good about our accomplishments and we don't like to see distressed
horses and the motto is definitely a 'feel good' motto. If none of the
actual 'losers' in this sport felt good about what they did accomplish,
we probably wouldn't have a sport for very long.

I didn't like some of the things at this ride. Whips and inexperienced
riders and horses are my biggest complaints. I'm not sure we're ready
for the Olympics  - I would love to see it, but not until we have fewer
horses being treated behind the scenes. This was a FAST race and it
got very hot and humid and there were too many dehydrated and
exhausted horses. The vetting was strict and these horses were
identified and treated quickly, but we have to be able to catch
the problems a little earlier before we're ready for prime time
television.

Well.. this got a little long. sorry! time to go feed.

Steph