Mini horses

Greeting R.C.  Here in Southern Calif, not by Los Angeles, but closer to
Pasadena, we have the Los angeles County fair annually.  During part of the
fair, they highlight unusual animals (knowing that for some people in this
area, any animal is unusual)  including miniature horses.
My friends and I like to joke that if we retire from big horses, we'll get
minis to pull us in a cart, and we can sit in a chair to clip and groom
them.  They can pull surprising loads in a cart:o
  I have talked to a few of the breeders, plus two friends who raise minis,
and the consensus appears to be that you have to watch how much they eat,
they can run into trouble.  The show exhibitors ALL put feed bags on their
faces so that they won't eat shavings at the fair, as this is supposedly
disastrous.  I have been told that if they colic, they do not fair well,
even compared to a pony, and we all know the old adage about types of
ponies..."those who have foundered, and those who haven't foundered yet".
  I would hop on the internet and visit a few mini-horse web sites, and ask
those breeders.  There is an awesome mini ranch in Santa Ynez (Have you seen
it Sylvia..Know the name?)

Have fun, {minis}      Beth