Re: RC: AERC & International & FEI

Barbara:

During an FEI competition, the rider is not allowed to speak to the
veterinarian without permission.  The vet can speak to the rider all he or
she wants.  Generally, if the vet has any questions or concerns he addresses
them to the chef d'equip or the team vet.  Usually, one of them is
accompanying the rider and horse for the vet presentation.

Last year, as I presented my horse for vet inspection at the Pan Am
Championships, the vets had a question about her soundness.  I ASKED to be
able to speak on my mare's behalf and on my behalf.  Request denied.  I stood
there mute while it was decided not to let her start without explaining to me
or our chef d'equip why.  The vets have absolute power at an FEI competition.

Debi Gordon