Re: RC: Fw: Horse Starts Forestfire!

>This can happen!    Have many times seen sparks from horse shoes in the
>dark.    Remember one time there was a bit of smoke in the grass from one,
>guess it wasn't dry enough to really get going.
>Recently talked to one of our FS range management gals and this happened
>last  year.  Luckily the rider saw it and was able to put it out before the
>fire got away, and report it.
>
>Dot

At the Shake, Rattle and Roll NATRC ride near Hesperia, CA a few years ago
a group of Open riders came into the P&R check that I was working, hoping
we had some extra water so they could refill their water bottles (we could
and did).  They had dumped all their water on a little grass fire they
found along the trail apparently ignited by a spark from one of the horses
in the group ahead of them that had just cleared the P&R.  If they hadn't
been following a few minutes behind,  the grass was dry enough and the
breeze was picking up such that there would have quickly been a nasty fire
going.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky