Re: RC: Re: RE: Politics, Fires and Trails

In a message dated 00-08-29 18:21:44 EDT, CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com writes:

<< The difference, as Bob and others have
 pointed out, is the accumulation of "ladder fuels" or just deadfall in
 general, that cause the fires to get up into the tops of the trees, or to
 burn hotter and more thoroughly.  "Good" fire sweeps through quickly and
gets
 the underbrush--but mature trees survive, for the most part >>

I agree...and I've been saying the same thing (in different terms).  I don't
think we're all that far apart in our thinking.  Saw a prime example of
ladder fuels (been trying to avoid forestry "jargon" here on RC - not sure if
everyone is familiar with all the terms) while riding with a friend in a
plantation this past weekend.  Glad the sucker didn't catch on fire while we
were in there.

Dawn