RC:Quarter/ArabCrosses

Diane Hutchinson dan_hutchinson@msn.com wrote
>I am interested in purchasing a horse that can serve multi-puposes.  I
am new to the sport of >competitive trail riding (not horses) but know
that Arabians are the horse of choice.  I have a long >background in
hunter/jumpers and no experiene with Arabians.  I am also 5.8" and 160
lbs.  Can a >Quarter/Arab cross be healthy and successful in this
sport?  (I have no ambitions to do 100 milers, >but 25s, maybe a 50?).
I'm thinking a Quarter cross will give me the size and disposition I'm
looking >for.  Does anybody have recomendations for me from experience?
>Thanks

You and I are about the same size. I've ridden puny little Arabs who
have done quite well with me. If you're looking for a little more size
and athleticism for possibly doing hunter/jumper, perhaps you want to
look at a cross with a TB or at least a QH with lots of TB blood.
Personally, I favor a little saddlebred blood — my mare has some ASB and
some sort of stock horse in the woodpile, but she's very lightly muscled
like an Arab or an ASB and I have to prevent her from jumping. One of my
friends has a beautiful 1/2 QH, 1/2 grade who, although he isn't muscled
like a halter QH, he does have heavier muscling and she has the dickens
of a time getting him to drop to pulse parameters after only 15 or 20
miles. He also just doesn't seem to have the brain for knowing when to
be calm and when to be a jumping bean.

My 2 cents. Oops! Now I'm broke.

Deanna