Re: RC: mares & poop

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, lkgower wrote:

> I'd like help with this problem also.  My two mares poop & pee on their
hay, then won't eat it.  I tried hanging metal feeders on the
fence.  They

Horses, mares especially do not enjoy peeing on hard ground - their urine
splashes on their legs, which some horses dislike with a *passion*.  The
hay on the ground provides a perfect pee spot as far as they are
concerned.  I keep my guys either in pasture where there is enough grass,
or in pens with enough bedding that they have pee spots, eating spots,
poop spots, and sleep spots.  Often, some horses are simply a lot less
finiky than others.  My mare would only pee on her food when I led her
bedding get too low in her stall.

Leah