$$$$$

> > the > emiratis conclude that the western world is a huge pack of >
whores > and all > that is to be negotiated is the price.

> person who pays $20,000 to what you call a "whore" who pushed a > horse
too> hard too soon to make a quick profit.

I've been outside working and decided to reply to my own post (talk about
bored!)  I don't like the way what I said sounded. I was referencing what
Tom said but it sounds as if I would call someone who'd train strictly
for re-sale that name. I wouldn't. I wouldn't hate that person, or even
strongly dislike them...I simply wouldn't be impressed, or feel as if
they are above me in status, even if they do win a few here or there.  I
think there's a pretty clear pecking order at rides and maybe the main
goal for many of us is to reach a certain level in it. I'd say I'm more
motivated by the acceptance of my peers than I am by money, my job, etc.
It's a very high priority to me...because I admire them so much.

I'm not against International competition.  And unlike some I'm not
shocked at the low completion rate.  I don't think you can compare a ride
like the WEC with a normal ride because it's not a place you come just to
complete.  At any given local ride there are only a few people who are
trying for the win on that given day. Many are starting new horses, some
trying to get a few more miles on old ones...and a few are at their peak
and going for it.  At the WEC they're all going for it.  If I'm trying
for a points championship I have the next ride in mind while I'm riding
and I may have to be more careful over rocks, etc. When it's the big one
this is it and you would have to take more chances. Surely wouldn't mean
it's "trash your horse" time, just "cross your fingers and go fast over
the rocks" time.  Besides, by the time a horse has a resume' that can get
it onto the team, it's bound to have a few little wear and tear things
going that can crop up on a bad day...like Rio, he didn't make the team
in Kansas, but he won BC on race day.

This whole "would you sell" scenario reminds me of the movie "Indecent
Proposal". Leaves everybody wondering, "what's my price?"  Granted, I
kept my "virginity", but nobody thought it was worth *nearly* as much as
Debbie's. >eg<

Angie