Re: RC: RE: Re: $$$$$

In a message dated 8/28/00 3:10:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rides2far@juno.com writes:

<< Tom, a while back there was a post, by Kat I believe, where she made her
 case to you that some of us are in much "longer races" than others. My
 goal is to build a horse from scratch, delay my gratification till he has
 a proper foundation, pace him correctly, and competed him in or around
 the top 10 for 4,000 miles. Does that mean I'm not as competitive as the
 person who pays $20,000 to what you call a "whore" who pushed a horse too
 hard too soon to make a quick profit. Then after buying it, went out and
 won a race a week later?

 Angie and Kaboot >>

You're competitive with gratification, if nothing else. Top tenning is
competitive--and very kind, letting others have the glory of finishing first.
 If there is a competition for a 4,000 mile award, then you're competitive
there, too.

Now, a horse that is pushed too hard today doesn't generally win next week,
but that may be a matter of perception. And I certainly wouldn't call that
person a whore until that aspect was demonstrated to me, not to someone else.
As for winning the race after a $20,000 purchase, I'd say the winner got what
he or she wanted. Sounds like a fair deal to me. That's better than selling a
known cripple for upwards of $100,000 to an unsuspecting buyer who you know
won't come back at you in a court of law. Eh?

ti