TCS-Maggie's 2 cents

Hi everybody,
Hope you don't mind me letting Malik have a stab at a ride story.  Quite honestly, I tried really hard this weekend to see the experience from his point of view.
This weekend was not only successful in that Malik earned 2 BCs 2 days in a row (and I will NOT apologize for being proud of that) but most of all it was successful in the amount of learning that took place for me and my family.  Malik could have done 50.  I wasn't sure.  We did 2 25s instead.  Now I AM sure.  It was muggy and though not as hot as the OD, it certainly showed me what humidity can do to a horse.  I believe that my employment of Susan's strategies in her Endurance News articles and the advice and help I have received here on Ridecamp are the main reasons I had a horse that did so well.  Oh, and LUCK...I have learned that without luck, the other stuff doesn't matter.  (Well, it does, but it can't fix everything.) Even with a little bad luck (ie., Malik's leg scrape), we were able to compensate and overcome that, too.  I suppose  I should mention Barb and Larry Ward of Mashallah Arabians here as well...if they hadn't bred Malik, I wouldn't have a ride story to even tell!! I also want to thank Jay and Becke Grams for putting on this ride even though the Shore to Shore Ride seriously reduces its attendance.  (For some reason, this year the Shore to Shore was extended and encompassed two whole weekends with its additional warm up and cool down rides instead of the usual 5 days).  I strongly encourage people to ride this trail in either the Little Manistee Memorial ride in May or the Tin Cup Springs ride in August...it is a challenging trail with varying terrain...two tracks, single tracks, ups and downs and arounds...it's a FUN trail and well marked.  Be forewarned though... the sand can do you in if your horse isn't used to it and/or if you push too hard in it. The fifties do the 25 mile loop twice with vet check back in camp.  Some nice easy spots for crewing and they put out water for drinking AND sponging at 5 and 20 miles.  I can't wait to ride it again next May.  Jay keeps a big bonfire going all weekend.  The vets, Steve Halstead and Larry Granger, are wonderful.  They are fair and objective and I feel they really care about my horse...they always have something positive to say (even when it might be really negative) and are upbeat and you can tell they are having fun being there and vetting the ride. That makes a difference.  OK, OK, since this is turning into an appreciation spiel, I need to say "thank you" to my junior rider/daughter.  Her horse, Max, is awesome and tied Malik for vet score on Sunday.  However, I have a lot of weight on her.  I know it's hard for her sometimes cuz I am so proud of Malik but I want her to know I am proud of her and Max, too.  Malik and I couldn't do it without her...when Malik is lagging, Max is out there with his ears pricked forward trucking along.  On the other hand, when Max is getting a bit too eager, I like to think Malik is there for him, helping him with a little strategy of "slow and easy" wins the race (sometimes).  Malik and Max make a good team and riding the trails with my daughter is a great joy and pleasure for me...not something we would be experiencing in a show circuit setting or even in 4-H or Pony Club.  It is hard for me to compete against my daughter...she could go faster with her horse and could beat us on time...mostly because I'm too chicken shit to go faster!!  But she could also find herself with a lame or fatigued horse...I am hoping as time goes on, we will both find our niche in this sport and remember that the "trail is the prize" and "to finish is to win"...hard when you are 15 and your mom and her horse have beaten your pants off too many times and you know your horse is just as good!  Anyway, before I finish, I wanted to also remind everyone again about those gut instincts and knowing your horse....my heart monitor went haywire on Sunday and really freaked me out.  I was pretty concerned about Malik for a short while...I finally chucked the thing (into my fanny pack it went, still beeping even though I disconnected the damn wires!).  When I really "listened" to my gut, I KNEW something was wrong but that it was something simple...sure enough, when I stopped to let him graze, he started to pee and pee and pee. ( I had stopped a couple of other times on the trail but not where he could graze...). I suspected as much but he is usually very adamant and stubborn about having to stop for peeing and pooping (he is still learning that a horse CAN walk and poop at the same time!).  After that, he was better, stronger, more eager and ready to go than ever....such a simple little thing.  I hope taking the time now to learn these little things is going to be our edge on fifties.  Which I hope will be next month at Bear River...another favorite trail in northern Michigan!!  He is ready and now so am I... I'll be back with another story then!!!  :)
Maggie Mieske