FEI Endurance

Wendy Merendini merendiniws@navair.navy.mil
Okay, I should just stay in my corner but I just cannot take it
 anymore!

Listen folks - First of all there has been NO Change in FEI
rules.  The USA has been given a waiver in previous years to
participate in the World Championships.  The FEI has now made it
 easier to hold FEI rides so ride managers can more easily add
an FEI division to their rides.  Since they have done this they
see no reason to continue to grant a waiver to the US.  So here
is the big question.  Ride managers are you going to support USA
riders interested in striving for a chance to represent the USA
at futures World Endurance Championship and look into adding an
FEI division to your ride?

Second - FEI endurance has nothing whatsoever to do with AERC
and how rides are managed or ridden in the US of A!  Those of us
 that like the challenge of international competition accept FEI
rules.  If you do not want to support International endurance
riding – Don't.  But I would imagine that the FEI does not give
a hoot over how AERC conducts itself.  Why should the AERC general membership dictate how FEI establishes its rules and
 regs.

Barbara (I am not picking on you) and others have made like
statements such as "Quite possibly, but maybe the "dramatic acceleration" to a professionally controlled, money-driven sport
 is not what our AERC members want. Perhaps we should ask them.
 And they can always vote out the BOD members who do not help direct AERC the way they wish to see it go."

Barbara, (you know I love you ) but what on earth does the AERC
 BOD have to do with how FEI conducts business?  Is the BOD going to state that no USA riders can participate in international endurance championships?  That would be scary!

I believe that to be truly successful over the course of a 100 mile endurance ride(race) you have to really know your horse.  The best way to achieve that knowledge is to ride and train the horse - yourself!  I think that the level of success that the
UAE is having outside their country proves that.  Their successes are in the hit and miss realm at best.  Now, I know I
can take a horse I have never ridden, that is fit for the course
 and get it through a 100-mile ride.  But there is a huge
difference in "getting around" and winning.  And a huge factor in winning is knowing the horse very well.

You know what folks?  Winning is FUN!  And you know what is even
 more fun?  Winning many times on the same horse!  And I am at a
 loss over why the FEI is painted evil when they state that they
 support winning.  They do not support the abuse of our horses
in the pursuit of winning; in fact vetting is much tougher at a
FEI ride than at an AERC ride.

I for one enjoy all the aspects this sport has to offer.  In my
experience I have not seen that prize money effects how riders
compete to any great degree.  Heck, I have observed terrible abuses of horses when the prize was a tee shirt!

Wendy Merendini