Re: RC: A reply to FEI's Michael Stone

In a message dated 8/28/00 10:07:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time, DebiG54@aol.com
writes:

<< Professionalism is not synonymous with good horsemanship either.  Let's
not
 confuse the two.  Experience, intelligence, and a genuine concern for the
 welfare of one's horse is what good horsemanship is about.  Success in
 endurance, especially lasting success, can only be achieved with good
 horsemanship. >>

"Genuine concern" is also not synonymous with good horsemanship. Instead, it
is a "feel good" excuse to cover a wide range of unprofessional "abuses".
Foremost among all these potential abuses is the attempt to compete with a
horse that is not fit (in all the meanings of the word) for the rigors of
competition. So, I would presume that those proclaiming "genuine concern" are
also delivering the fittest animals--otherwise, it's just sanctimonious
claptrap.

Now, I believe you, Debi, have qualified to deliver that phrase, but beware
of others who would jump on your "feel good" bandwagon. It might be best if
we fully and clearly define genuine concern and good horsemanship as these
prases apply to endurance competition.

ti